• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 16, 2020

    World of Warcraft Thursday Loot Thread

    World of Warcraft Thursday Loot Thread


    Thursday Loot Thread

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 02:37 AM PDT

    Let us know what you got this week! Achievements, meta-achievements, mounts, pets, actual loot drops, gold thresholds, or other things that you can say, "Oooh, I got this" and be excited about. Post them here! Screenshots are encouraged but not necessary.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Preach will be interviewing Lead Game Designer - Ion Hazzikostas! Tomorrow July 17

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 01:17 AM PDT

    Thank you to Everyone who Treats New Players like Human Beings

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 10:28 AM PDT

    I just started playing as I've been unemployed due to Covid since March. I've had some people be really awful to me for saying hi to everyone in instance chat, or killing my quest turnin NPC, killing the rare spawns I'm trying to tame, kicking me when I say in new, etc. Last night I did 6 dungeon runs with the loveliest group ever - When I told them I hadn't done the dungeon they walked me through, made sure I got all the quest items, and let me know when we were jumping/had me dismiss my pet (generally just things I didn't know as a new player).

    Anyways, I just wanted to say it really meant so much to have someone be nice to a new player and not tell me to STFU for being friendly. It was genuinely meaningful for a new player who doesn't yet know the ropes.

    EDIT: OVERWHELMED by all the incredibly nice people offering to help me in game. I'm not really sure how that works/how to play with other people in the game, but I'd love to be friends or just chat if you're ever in need of a friend - I just love to chat! :) my toon name is fortunaredux and I play alliance on the Dalaran US server!

    submitted by /u/TheJuliettest
    [link] [comments]

    The first of many days of waiting for something that will never come

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 07:36 PM PDT

    'Are you ready for Shadowlands?' made by me [twitter: @schneissy]

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 08:38 AM PDT

    Hey Blizzard Devs, anyway we could could get 1 or 2 class exclusive quests per expansion? For example, I'd love a Death Knight quest to unlock an undead hound skin, like the Black Arrow minion, in place of a ghoul. Or at least expand the glyph system!

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 11:17 AM PDT

    Start of Legion and BfA combined

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 11:26 PM PDT

    Just realized Gnomes have to stand up to use this mount.

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 03:15 PM PDT

    Holy Priests Rejoice!

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 02:33 PM PDT

    My Defender by Dmitry Prozorov

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 02:00 AM PDT

    Can people stop throwing tantrums in the middle of dungeons because some of us don't know the mechanics of EVERY dungeon??

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 07:11 PM PDT

    Sorry for the formatting. I'm on mobile.

    My friend recently introduced me to WoW (yay for that and also curses because now I'm addicted). For reference, I play a hunter and she plays a warlock (important later). We were in the middle of a raid and the priest said to interrupt the target's spells. He then asked my friend for a single target stun spell. She only had an aoe stun which he didn't respond to. He then told my friend to "learn to read" and "learn to play the class". He then said "sorry ur bad". Like... Ok?????? That was unprovoked. And that's just normal toxic behavior in WoW.

    But what really pissed us off was when we reached the final boss. Apparently the boss' attack did more damage the further away from it you were. We're a hunter and a warlock so duh range attacks. He didn't tell us this. He just expected us to know this information. He also refused to heal my friend and I as we took damage. Needless to say, we died just as the boss died. We waited for the rez but nothing. He left the instance group, so we had to run through the dungeon again for the drops and to turn in the quests. This obviously soured my experience in WoW.

    Tldr: priest was a dick to two new players and refused to heal and rez us at the end of the dungeon

    submitted by /u/Xysono
    [link] [comments]

    YES! My baby is back!

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 01:37 PM PDT

    Blast from the past in family member's deep storage.

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 07:14 PM PDT

    [Blizzard Official] High Priestess Maiev Shadowsong, from the Heroes of the Storm "Altered Fates" sub-event

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    With the Shadowlands Beta starting this week, here's how you can check to see if you'll get in

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 08:01 AM PDT

    *laughs in Spell Reflection*

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 10:45 AM PDT

    Welcome back, we missed you

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 03:00 PM PDT

    Randomly meeting a streamer you like as opposite factions

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 07:50 PM PDT

    Has anyone seen the reworked Death Knight Necrolord ability? I don't care if it doesn't ends up being the strongest I am choosing that Covenant just to use this!

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 02:55 PM PDT

    I challenge you to Mak'gora! [I'm new to pixel art and wanted to pay homage to my favorite character]

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 10:06 AM PDT

    Set the launcher picture as wallpaper. Bolvarception.

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 03:47 PM PDT

    All Gladiator PvP Mounts Become Account Wide in Shadowlands

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 04:51 PM PDT

    If you experience Shadows Rising in audible, the narrator is Susan Wokoma, also known as Talanji herself!

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 01:02 PM PDT

    Was watching south park and this gem of an episode came on :) the good ole days

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 04:12 PM PDT

    Covenant Abilities Impede the RPG Decision of Covenants

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 08:27 AM PDT

    I know I'm the zillionth post on covenants, but there's one angle in this conversation I haven't overly seen talked about and I felt it warranted its own thread for discussion. This isn't about needing 4 of every class, or having to swap for content types or having to swap for certain bosses, nor having to make a decision without getting enough time playing with the abilities, or some abilities just being poopoo in the overworld, or some covenant abilities being great for one spec of your class and awful for another, or anything like that -- those are all valid arguments worth exploring, but I would like to avoid this post derailing into those. Many people smarter (and better at the game) than me have covered those topics. I'd like to exclusively focus on the idea of covenants as an RPG choice.

    Ion has said the decision to lock covenants is a product of wanting to really introduce a "weighty, RPG choice" back into the game. He's likened covenants to sub-classes. I don't think either claim rings true.

    The latter is still subjective, but I think easier to grapple with: 2 active abilities (one of which is shared across all of your fellow "subclass") and 5 passives don't add up to a subclass. Perhaps this is my own bias and my standards for this are arbitrary, but I would expect a subclass to change my gameplay more than covenants do. I'd expect a subclass to have somewhere between 1/3rd and 1/2 of the amount of gameplay attached to it that a class as a whole does -- perhaps spec is the better word to use here. I expect a subclass to impact my gameplay about 1/2 as much as a spec impacts my gameplay relative to a base class. Again, this might be an arbitrary definition on my part, but I think when you look at other games that allow multi-classing or subclassing, this number feels about on the money for what expectations should be.

    Now, for the former: I initially bought in to this claim, that locking covenants was creating a weighty RPG choice -- and I think in the context of the covenant abilities not existing, I'd still agree with that.

    The part I get stuck on are the active abilities though. I've tried for the life of me to figure out where Ion is getting this post-character creation commitment idea from. Maybe someone else can help me see what I'm overlooking, but I genuinely can't think of an RPG game that has done what he's referring to here. When I think of great RPGs -- pen & paper or digital, modern or historic -- I can't think of many that have had any roleplay elements tied to combat (in terms of your character's look/worldview/etc.) decisions, or combat-style tied to roleplay above and beyond class, if you view class as a roleplay decision (it's at least, in part, an identity decision).

    If, in D&D, you chose to play an Oathbreaker Paladin, you still play like a Paladin. It's sort of there for the players that want Paladin combat but don't want to be a goody2shoes. I don't remember my guns or abilities changing in Mass Effect based on my Paragon or Renegade points, and while sure, getting bit by a vampire in an Elder Scrolls game changes your abilities, you have ways of reverting that should you desire. If I choose to go around murdering folk willy-nilly, my core gameplay doesn't change. The Wticher, Final Fantasy, Fall Out -- none of these provide examples of roleplaying decisions changing combat significantly (barring the decision to do something like a pacifist playthrough or something like that). I guess you could maybe argue that sometimes how you have to approach fights changes in FF based on what party levels you prioritize and level up? Pokemon, if you RP'd as a bug catcher the entire time, would I guess require some different strategies for tackling encounters (though again, your core gameplay isn't really going to change). These all feel different to me though than what Ion is referring to.

    I've seen games add flavor based on character creation choices -- Necromancers in ESO, for example, get some flavor text and some of their spells are illegal to cast in towns (guards will aggro you if you use them and put you in jail). That's not a choice I'm making post character creation though, it's part of the core fantasy of being a necromancer in ESO. I'm reluctant to really call that a roleplaying decision, it's just part of the class, but again, that's still a decision being made AT character creation.

    When it comes to covenants, there's deep lore implications for your choice, unique mounts, transmog, and titles. In fact, by nearly every axis of character identity, covenants provide a meaningful choice. Kyrian does not look like Venthyr does not look like Necrolords does not look like Night Fae. The characters I interact with change, the spaces I occupy change, the way I look changes, the way my name presents changes, my interactions with the world change. All of these things are meaty choices to make on their own merit.

    When I think of RPG elements, that is what I think of.

    When you tie combat changes into the choice though, I'm now stuck having to figure out what I value more in the game: combat or roleplay. By making the choices exist along both of these axes, I have to prioritize one if they don't align for me -- as someone that enjoys pushing higher keys, Mythic raiding, and the arena, I don't feel like I have much of a choice. I certainly engage more in combat than I do in roleplay in WoW -- so I ignore 95% of what the content covenants have to offer PURELY because what buttons I push matters the most to me.

    And that sucks. That's an anti-roleplay choice. It makes no sense to me (I am sure, with some effort, I could make it make sense to me) that my Monk would be a Necrolord, and yet for Brewmaster it looks like it's between that or Kyrian for my options, and I just have no interest in the Kyrians.

    The fantasy of the Night Fae is highest for me on my monk, followed by the Venthyr, but in both cases I'm limited by what appears to be a very weak covenant ability via the Night Fae and an amazingly boring covenant ability in the Venthyr. My gameplay would be more fun under the Kyrians or Necrolords, and so I'll continue using the same transmogs I always have, begrudgingly push through narrative content as needed for progression, and move forward because even though neither covenant is my preference for my monk, those are the covenants that look like they have the best gameplay for him.

    The current system asks me to actively IGNORE the roleplaying side of covenants.

    If I am lucky and the gameplay I want for my spec/class happens to align with the RP choice I would like to make, then hooray, I've won the lottery. But in many instances for me, this just doesn't look like it's going to be the case.

    The locking of covenants certainly does make the selection a choice, but an RPG choice? I don't think so.

    submitted by /u/garzek
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment